Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Poop on Printing

During the years that I made prints myself and didn't source them out, I only had an ink jet printer.  Granted is was a high quality Canon (which I prefer over Epson and HP), but the inks for it were only "dye" inks.  Because of that I had this crazy process I went through using special UV resistant sprays and glazes that I painted over the print.

This year Canon finally came out with an affordable pigment printer that will print up to 13 x 19" paper!  So I invested in one this past year.  If I have something larger that needs to be printed for an exhibition or a client, then I farm it out to two printers I've used for years.  One does a terrific job of taking my digital files and sending me gallery-wrapped Giclee prints and another does a great job of printing chromogenic or digital C prints on paper.  Both types of prints are archival (like my pigment prints) and are seen in high end galleries and museums. 

For a discussion of the different terms, this is a handy webpage.  But what does it mean for you, my client?  It means that the art that I print, or have someone else do for me, will last more than just a few years.  Right now depending upon both papers and inks, it's said that prints can last between 85 to 100+ years.  But of course, like any piece of fine art you should never hang it on a wall that gets direct sunlight. 


This photo was taken on the streets of Portland a couple of weeks ago.  It's a Hippstamatic with the iPod using the Roboto Glitter Lens, Sussex Film and of course no flash.  I really hate using a flash and try to avoid it at all costs because of the harsh shadows they produce.  I'm entering this photo into a New York Center for Photographic Art show called "Transportation".  I hope it makes the cut! 

I haven't  put this image up on here yet, but if you're interested in purchasing this limited edition print (only doing a series of 25), please contact me directly.  I can give you a quote on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment